Mastering Orthopaedic Excellence
Dr. Peter Smith, an orthopaedic expert at Mediclinic Milnerton, is at the forefront of innovation, offering a comprehensive range of professional orthopaedic treatments. Specialising in total knee replacement, total hip replacement, sports injuries, and cutting-edge arthroscopic surgery techniques, Dr. Smith is dedicated to enhancing the quality of life for his patients.
Total Knee Replacement Explained
The knee, the body’s largest joint, plays a pivotal role in everyday activities. If arthritis or injury severely impacts your knee, hindering simple tasks or causing persistent pain, total knee replacement surgery may be the solution. This surgical procedure, also known as knee arthroplasty, involves resurfacing a damaged knee using metal and plastic components.
The Procedure in Four Steps:
- Bone Preparation: Delicately removing damaged cartilage and underlying bone.
- Metal Implants Placement: Precision meets artistry with the recreation of the joint surface.
- Patella Resurfacing: Optionally cutting and resurfacing the kneecap.
- Spacer Insertion: Placing a medical-grade plastic spacer for a smooth gliding surface.
Incorporating Robotic-Assisted Surgery:
In a testament to staying on the cutting edge, Dr. Peter Smith has recently returned from a Stryker Internal Training Conference. This conference is designed to equip orthopaedic surgeons with the knowledge and skills needed to integrate robotic technology into their practice for knee replacement surgeries. Dr. Smith’s commitment to continuous learning and staying updated on advancements in the field ensures that his patients benefit from the latest in medical innovation. Robotic-assisted surgery utilises computer-aided precision to enhance conventional knee replacement procedures, resulting in faster relief, shorter hospital stays, quicker recovery times, and longer-lasting results.
Understanding the Dangers of Delaying Knee Surgery:
Postponing knee replacement surgery can lead to a cascade of complications:
- Deterioration: Worsening knee condition, increased pain, stiffness, and mobility issues.
- Quality of Life: Diminished everyday activities, potential issues like depression.
- Healing and Rehabilitation: Prolonged recovery time, continued loss of mobility.
- Inferior Outcomes: Compromised benefits of a new joint, reduced mobility improvements.
- Overall Health Decline: Weight gain, heart problems, lung difficulties.
- Impact on Supporting Structures: Stress on muscles, tendons, ligaments, and bones.
- Impact on Other Joints: Altered walking patterns affecting other body parts.
- Continual Deterioration of Activity Level: Restricted ability to stay active, worsening over time.
- Increased Surgical Complexity: More extensive procedures due to advanced deterioration.
Your Health, Your Future:
Don’t let fear or uncertainty prevent you from reclaiming mobility and comfort. Consult with your doctor for timely intervention, ensuring the best outcomes for your knee health and overall well-being. Your future health and happiness are worth the investment in your knee’s well-being.
This article “Revolutionising Mobility: Dr. Peter Smith Pioneers Advanced Knee Solutions at Mediclinic Milnerton, Cape Town” does not provide medical advice and is intended for informational purposes only. It is not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Please consult a doctor for all medical advice.
Meet Dr Peter Smith, a leading Orthopaedic Surgeon operating from the Mediclinic Milnerton in Cape Town, Western Cape. His practice is situated in the heart of this seaside town. Dr Peter Smith not only offers patients the full spectrum of professional orthopaedic treatments, but specialises in total knee replacement, total hip replacement, sports injuries and the latest arthroscopic surgery techniques and computer guided surgery. He gained extensive experience in the latest arthroplasty techniques during his stay of 6 years in Australia where he performed more than a hundred primary and revision hip and knee replacements cases in a year.